From the Field is
a bi-monthly column written by Mark Campbell, Farm Bureau Field Services
Director for the Central District. He writes about Farm Bureau member benefits
and County Farm Bureau activities.

I spent a day and a half with District Field Services
Director
Daryl Butler in the
Southeast Field District to learn more about the agriculture in that part of
the state and the harvest.
In the counties of Southampton and Isle of Wight, the most
common crops were cotton, peanuts, and soybeans. There was some corn, but not as much as I
anticipated. I later found out that corn
wasn’t as prevalent in some areas due to soil type and water holding
capability. All of the corn had been
harvested that I saw.
Yields were very good with many farmers reporting around 200
bu/acre. Average yields in the area
usually run around 125 bu/acre. Soybeans
had a few weeks to go until they were to be harvested.

It was a very busy time as peanut and cotton harvest had
started. All of the peanut fields that I
saw had already been dug with the rows of peanuts and vines on top of the
ground. I was able to witness a self-propelled
peanut combine in action. It harvested 8
rows and it was as dusty an operation as I have ever seen. But it makes sense though, since the machine
is harvesting a product that was once underground. Plus the weather had been very dry until this
week. These peanuts were transferred to
tractor-trailers in the field for transport to market. We visited a peanut-buying station and
processor and got a quick tour of the business between the owner shuttling
wagon loads of peanuts around the bins.
The peanut crop was the largest last year in recorded history. While the peanut crop this year isn't that
large; it is coming in at a larger yield than average and the quality is
excellent. I’m glad, because I love
Virginia peanuts. They are the premium
peanut. I also learned that China is a
big buyer of peanuts. They use it for
oil and peanut butter.

Cotton harvest was just beginning. Some fields still had
lots of leaves on the plants. But others
were ready. Farmers have to spray a
defoliant on the plants to make the leaves fall off. Cotton, unlike some other crops, requires
more pest and fungus management throughout the growing season. There are two types of cotton picker: those
that are a basket type that unloads into a module builder and those that make a
round bale on the go. A module builder
looks like a large trash compactor. It
compacts the cotton into a shape similar to a loaf of bread. This is done in the field, and the cotton
gins have special trucks that go to the fields to pick-up the cotton. The cotton trucks have a roll back feature
that slides under the cotton and pulls it onto the truck bed that is covered
with a tarp. The cotton pickers that
make the round bales are more expensive and heavier. The tradeoff is quicker harvesting and less
labor. The cotton picker basically has a
round baler on the back, and the technology of the baler portion is almost
identical to the round bale hay balers.
While all hay producers are familiar with net wrap. These cotton pickers have the same thing, but
it is plastic wrap and it does cover the edge as well. The one farmer with one of these cotton
pickers reported that they could harvest as much as 80 acres in a day. Cotton yields, while still very early in the
season seem to be above average to good.

The technology on the equipment was neat for me to see. Being from a livestock background, this type
and size of equipment is rare to see.
However, in crop production, it is pretty standard equipment to
have. We have heard a lot about
precision agriculture with GPS; but aside from that there is still a lot of
technology. Most all of the newer
tractors have digital displays about fuel economy, percentage of power used,
engine status, and more.
It became evident very quickly that the investment in
equipment was huge, but very necessary.
As one farmer put it, “You can’t get into cotton half way. You need to go all-in.” That was true. These families farmed significant amounts of
acres and having equipment that ran efficiently with minimum breakdown, covered
more acres in less time and lowered labor expenses was of paramount importance.

I thank Daryl for a
very informative tour of southeast Virginia agriculture, and I thank the
farmers who put it all on the line to bring us the best food and fiber crops in
the world. On the way back to central
Virginia, I made sure to stop in Wakefield and buy some peanuts.
Until next time,
Mark
No comments:
Post a Comment