The
following is a post from the Real Farmers Real Food, a blog by Casey Whitaker of the Animal
Agriculture Alliance. Being present on social media is more important than
ever. You can influence and educate thousands of people in a matter of minutes
with a simple photo or video. We love sharing content from our producer members’
Facebook pages onto the Federation’s Facebook page. If you have content you’d
like us to share with our followers, please contact Kelly Pruitt at
804-290-1293 or kprui@vafb.com.
We
also have a closed Facebook group for Farm Bureau producer members. If you
would like to be added, please contact Kelly Pruitt above.
When
Facebook debuted I was a freshman in high school and the social media
platform was all any one could talk about at the lunch table. Everything
revolved around the conversations being held on Facebook. I found it quite
annoying and was hoping it was just a fad. I held off joining the Facebook
brigade until I was a senior in high school – the only reason I signed up for
an account is because my mom insisted I get one since I was moving away for
college.
Fast
forward nine years and I manage social media for the Animal Agriculture
Alliance. I won’t lie – I still find social media to be annoying some
days, but it is such a powerful communication tool that I find it to be more
fascinating.
The
Power of a Post
In
regards to agriculture, social media provides an outlet for producers, farmers
and ranchers to share what they are most passionate about – providing a
safe and affordable food supply for our great nation.
By
managing the day-to-day social media at the Alliance, one of my favorite things
to see, and hope to see every time I post, is engagement from not only
consumers who are curious about modern agriculture, but having our posts
provide an outlet for farmers and producers to chime in and either answer
questions or share what they do on their farm. From what I can see, consumers
generally appreciate when their questions are answered by farmers and this
helps build on the trust that most people already have in America’s food supply.
Personally,
my favorite platforms are Twitter and Snapchat. Some may argue that
Snapchat isn’t a true social media platform, but it allows users to share a
message like all the other platforms and I’d like to applaud them for one of
their recent messages or “stories” as they are called. Snapchat is all about
sharing quick photos or videos with your friends or followers. The trick is
that the content disappears after just a few seconds. The platform sometimes
features “stories” that combine posts from users at the same event, in the
same place or with a theme in common.
Farm
Life Snaps
A week
or so ago, Snapchat put out a story titled “Farm Life” and it was awesome to
say the least. The stories included farmers from across the country sharing a
few seconds of their day. My favorite was the video of the cow giving birth –
why? Imagine how many people have actually seen a cow give birth – not many I’d
argue, but thanks to Snapchat they were able to see it whether they wanted to
or not.
This
story allowed people removed from agriculture to see just a few things that
American farmers do every day to keep food on our plates.
In
case you missed the snaps, I’ve included some screenshots throughout this blog
post. The farmer from the last season of The Bachelor even made an
appearance! The only part I didn’t like was when it all disappeared, but
hey that’s Snapchat for you, right?
More
than just a post, tweet…or snap!
If
you’re not active on social media because you find it annoying or don’t
want to listen to people complain, I understand (really I do), but there
is so much more to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and
even Snapchat than just a post. Social media gives everyone a voice, but also
an avenue to connect with people and ideas that he/she may not be introduced to
otherwise. It is important that the agriculture community is one of the voices
being heard.
We all
know that the opposite side has a big voice and is more than happy to share
their version of agriculture’s story so we need to be out there reaching the
consumers and media that want a truthful, factual answer about where their food
comes from and how it’s produced.
There
are organizations, such as Farm Bureaus, checkoff organizations and even the
Alliance that work to spread factual information and engage with the media and
consumer groups about agriculture, but hearing from the individual farm
families that are on the farm every day is what leaves a lasting impression on
the public in my opinion.
If
you’re just starting out on social media and could use a few pointers or would
like to strategize on how you can be the best advocate, reference the Alliance’s social media guide which outlines all the
major platforms and what types of messages are ideal for each.
Oh and
Snapchat, feel free to do more “farm life” snaps!

No comments:
Post a Comment