From
the Field is a bi-monthly column
written by Mark Campbell, Farm Bureau Field Services Director for the Central
District. He writes about Farm Bureau member benefits and County Farm Bureau
activities.
What
is a “farmcation” you may ask? Well, for
some of us, it is taking in some type of agriculture while on vacation. My family and I went to Florida last week for
our vacation. We drove. It’s too expensive to fly a family of four, and
I don’t mind driving. We spent two days
at Disney World and six days at the beach.
Our beach destination, Sanibel, was three hours southwest of Disney
World.
On
the way to the beach, we stopped to see my friend from Florida Farm Bureau who
lives in southwest Florida. He also
happens to be a District Field Services Director like myself.
I
especially enjoyed the drive from Kissimmee to Ft. Myers. This was major citrus and cattle
country. In fact, the further south I
drove, the larger the cattle herds. The
pastures were huge. Most of the cattle,
as to be expected, had Brahman influence for the heat and insect
tolerance. The cattle were grazing in
the middle of the afternoon thanks to that Brahman influence.
I
also noticed in the southwestern part of the state that there were a fair
amount of melon and blueberry growers. I
always thought of blueberry production mainly in the mid-Atlantic to northern
states, like Michigan. But blueberry
production in Florida seemed pretty big.
Of course the orange and grapefruit trees were plentiful.
On
our way back home, in the central area of Florida from about Ocala to
Jacksonville, the main types of agriculture were produce, cattle and
horses. In the Ocala area, there are
some very impressive horse farms with big barns. I saw so many horses, I thought I was in
Lexington, Kentucky instead of Florida. There
were lots of black board fences, manicured pastures, and nice barns.
My family and I enjoyed Disney World and our "farmcation," but, just like Dorothy says, there's no place like home.
Until
next time,
Mark
No comments:
Post a Comment