From
the Field is a bi-monthly column
written by Mark Campbell, Farm Bureau Field Services Director for the Central
District. He writes about Farm Bureau member benefits and County Farm Bureau
activities.
![]() |
| Participants in Nelson County Farm Bureau's safety program |
There are many jobs on a farm, but planting, haymaking, and
harvest seem to be the most stressful.
Often, farmers are dealing with a small time window regarding the
weather and the calendar. Weather has
been challenging to say the least this year on making hay. However, no one is really complaining because
it has been a terrific year for growing grass and crops. I dare go out on a limb and say that it is
the best that I can remember. Although I
concede that many people claim a longer existence and memory.
During these busy times, patience and safely operating
equipment are critical. I am a pretty
patient guy, but I don’t deal well with equipment breakdowns. It seems that many of these equipment
breakdowns occur during haymaking with acres of hay on the ground and storm
clouds billowing in the distance. I will
say that time and experience have refined and strengthened my patience over the
years. I love the story that my pastor sometimes tells on patience. The more that he prays for patience; the more
problems he seems to have. He chalks
that up to the Lord training him to be more patient.
Why am I talking about patience in a blog about agriculture? Well there are a couple of reasons. First and foremost is that most farm accidents happen when people are in a hurry and taking short cuts. Many accidents happen when people are fixing or repairing equipment out in the field. The second is other people are watching. No, I’m not talking about the NSA--I mean family members or employees. My young sons are always watching, and as you parents know, they will soon model what they see and hear. My sons, even at ages 8 and 10 are safety conscious and love to put on the tractor flashers and lights whenever they get the chance.
Jimmy Maass, VFB Safety Manager, stresses the need to be
safe first before being fast. We all
recognize the need to push it a little harder to get the work done. But be safe first.
Jimmy, who spoke at the event, talked about tractor
rollovers and the VFB incentive for placing a roll bar on your tractor. The incentive is $400. So visit your county Farm Bureau office if
your older tractor does not have a roll bar, and pick up an application. He also spent a good bit of time talking
about power take-offs (PTOs). He then
demonstrated PTO entanglement with a dummy.
With some of the farms in the county having multiple
employees that operate equipment; I foresee more interest in having safety
demonstrations.
Let’s hope that the good rains keep coming and everyone
stays safe out there.
Until next time,
Mark


No comments:
Post a Comment